Tuesday, February 22, 2011

From Lara, All is well (mostly)

Well it has certainly been an interesting last 2 days, I feel like I am starting to get the hang of this keyboard (finally).  We got to go to the Sunday market and I worked on my bartering skills, its really great to be able to finally use my Spanish skills in a place where the people do not speak English.  The youth in Chichi speak English better than me!  I met 2 of teen vendors named Kevin and Izaih and had good conversations with them, all the while insisting I do not want a bookmark.  People here are very persistent, I would say {no lo quiero} and they would reply {Si lo quiere}, this would go on and on until it desintegrated into no, yes,  no yes noyesnoyesnoyes.... 
We went to the village and help build the school.  It was very dusty and I was not well for most of the day, so mostly I watched.  Even my Spanish did not help us communicate there, most of the people only spoke Mayan (which reminds me a lot of the Ewok language from Star Wars).  Even without speaking, we managed to be helpful, leveling fields and moving stumps and panels.  I got to cut roots with a machete!  Sadly, I have become the first person to get sick, so last night was not fun for me.  That is why I am not with the rest of the group working right now.  Hopefully I will get better tomorrow. 
Less than three, Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment