Friday, February 25, 2011

Antigua

We have arrived in Antigua and it is an entirely different experience from Chichicastenanga. Antigua is very touristy and caters to American and European tourists. Prices are higher here, and I hear that property prices here are higher than in Boulder!

We've wandered around the town and been in the permanent market. I'm feeling pretty much done with touristing, and I've only been here less than a day! This would be more fun if my family were here.

Yesterday was awesome - except for the multi-hour traffic jam of course. I came to Guatemala to build a school, and I've done that and so much more. Our Sienna project has been different from other projects in part because we were so many, but also because this village had lost *everything*. Other than the school we built, the only other permanent structure was the church. While we and our donors helped pay for the school and we did get to do some construction and painting of the school, we were also able to help so many others by creating the foundation for them to build their homes on and get past this devestating hurricane. And we have made such an impact in these children's lives. The kids were so eager to move in to their new school. I hope that these children will remember us for the rest of their lives - I know that I shall remember them.

And in this past week I have grown so much closer to my fellow Siennas. I'm so glad I had this opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment